Mar
10

Port Royal Development Moving Toward Completion

By

Ambitious Port Royal development moving toward completion

March 9, 2008

By ALEXIS GARROBO
agarrobo@beaufortgazette.com

As the last phases of Port Royal’s Millennium Development rise, the project will form an instant community of retail stores, restaurants and medical offices surrounded by residents from young to old.

The Millennium Development complex is the concentration of development at the north end of Paris Avenue that includes the Keyserling Cancer Center and Port Royal Center. The area will have a continuum of ages from children and young adults at apartments in The Preserve at Port Royal to elderly in the Good Neighbor Care of Port Royal complex.

“It’s really going to complete the atmosphere we have,” said Dean Morrissey, managing director for corporate development for Millennium Development.

The project began in 2001 and was constructed in phases. “So far we’ve probably had roughly $50 million, probably another $30 million to $40 million more in development,”Morrissey said.

This would be one of the last pieces in the multi-faceted project. The Millennium Developmentcomplex includes more than 40 acres of apartments, assisted and independent living facilities, retail and commercial development and the Keyserling Cancer Center — most of which has been completed. Millennium Development, the company overseeing the project, plans to begin construction on Good Neighbor Care by June, pending permitting. Components of the project include:

•The Preserve, 400 apartments, which was a catalyst to attract retail and commerce

•Port Royal Center, a 2-acre retail and commerical center. It includes shops, restaurants and offices

•The Keyserling Cancer Center, a joint development project with Beaufort Memorial Hospital for cancer treatment and research

•Good Neighbor Care of Port Royal, a proposed 120-unit assisted and independent living facility

•4.2 acres for future medical development

“This whole section is new urbanism,” Morrissey said. New urbanism is a philosophy that encourages walking, interconnectivity, diversity in housing type and makeup of an area and a focus on traditional town layout, according to New Urbanism.org, a Web site that promotes the ideology.

The 120-unit Good Neighbor Care would provide about 100 independent units for elderly people. The plan received final approval at last month’s Port Royal Design Review Board meeting. Building permits from Port Royal and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control are needed before construction begins.

The company also plansa four-cottage Alzheimer’s living facility, Morrissey said. He said the two facilities would answer a growing demand as the area’s population ages.

The commercial and retail space, Port Royal Center, is about 60 percent full, Morrissey said. He said the development firm hopes to fill the remaining 40 percent of the building with offices.

The last undeveloped 4 acres, which are next to the cancer center, are designated for medical development. Beaufort Memorial Hospital, which worked with the development group to create the cancer center, has no immediate plans for the area, said Rick Toomey, hospital CEO.

“The hospital has limitation (for expansion) on our campus,” Toomey said. “We’re looking at options (for growth outside of the hospital campus) but there is nothing long-term or concrete.”

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/215039.html

Be Sociable, Share!
    Categories : Beaufort

    Comments are closed.